Nothing beats a hot plate of bubble and squeak for delicious, warming comfort food; especially when made with fresh, local, in season ingredients - yum!
This dish can be cooked fresh or thrown together in a matter of minutes with tasty left overs. It is packed with 60% RDA of vitamin A and 140% RDA of vitamin C!
1. Put a small pan of water on to boil.
2. Boil the new potatoes, with the skin on, for about 15 to 18 minutes or until just soft (chop any larger ones in half or 1/3 to speed up cooking).
3. Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp of coconut oil in a small frying pan. Fry off the onion and garlic for 2 minutes or until the onion is soft.
4. Add the kale and fry for another minute to wilt the kale. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
5. When the potatoes are cooked and just soft when you stick a knife into them remove them from the heat. Drain the water, season with salt and pepper, add 1 tsp of the coconut oil and roughly mash them.
6. Stir the cooked kale, garlic and onion mix into the mashed new potatoes.
7. Heat the final 1 tsp of coconut oil in a small frying pan and when it is melted add the bubble and squeak mix, pressing it down into the pan to form a bit of a pattie.
8. Fry for around 5 - 8 minutes on each side over a medium to high heat until the potato has started to crisp up. Yum, yum, yum!