It feels a little naughty putting these in the breakfast section but hey - oats, banana, almonds and pecans? Ingredients to rival even the healthiest of breakfasts, surely? (Well that’s our story and we’re sticking to it!)
This are really rather delicious! Kind of a biscuit-cake-cookie combo; a crisp exterior with a soft, oaty cake-like texture inside. Not too sweet and with the delicious mix of crunchy pecans and soft dark chocolate; a flavour match made in heaven.
100g rolled oats
45g ground almonds
25g ground flaxseed
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla powder (or 1 tsp extract)
40g coconut sugar
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tsp lemon juice
25g pecans, chopped into chunks
50g dark chocolate, chopped into chunks
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
Makes: 8 cookies
1. Preheat your oven to 175ºC.
2. Line a tray with parchment paper.
3. In a bowl mix together the oats, almonds, flaxseed, baking soda and vanilla powder (not extract).
4. In a separate bowl mash the banana and add to it the coconut oil, sugar, and lemon juice (and vanilla extract if you are using this instead of powder).
5. Add the banana mix to the dry oat mix and stir in gently.
6. Fold in the chopped walnuts and dark chocolate.
7. Add approximately 2 tbsp of mixture onto the tray to form each cookie; there should be enough mixture for 8 cookies. Shape each cookie into a rough circle and press it gently to flatten the top slightly.
8. Bake for 15 minutes until they begin to go a light golden colour.
9. Cool for 5 minutes on the tray and then transfer to a rack to cool.
10. Drizzle on a little extra dark chocolate if you fancy it!